We all hear about how imperative it is to grow our email list. Email lists are truly the only thing we really have total control over. Through our email lists and email campaigns, we can control what content our audience sees and how frequently unlike social media platforms. Let’s be honest, all social media platforms operate by using an algorithm. The social media algorithms in place are closely guarded and they change all the time making it extremely difficult for us to reach our ideal target market and stay in front of them, even when we pay for advertising! Our email lists are the holy grail to staying in touch with our ideal customers.
I know your next question… “How do we grow our email lists?”
The Answer…Through Lead Magnets!
Lead Magnet – Defined:
A lead magnet is an irresistible freebie, give-away, or type of content that provides the consumer with a ton of value. It is something that your target market will happily give up their contact information in order to receive the knowledge, tool, or resource they crave.
Lead magnets are also a great tool to use to:
- Get to know your ideal client or customer
- What your audience craves and wants more of
- Research what you can make into a saleable digital product or course
What do lead magnets look like?
Lead magnets can come in many forms. Below is a list of my favorites!
Irresistible Lead Magnets:
- Action Plan
- Cheat Sheet
- Email Course
- Free 15-Minute Consultation
- Product Samples
- Resource List
- Swipe Files
- Tip Sheet
- Video Courses
Now that you have some ideas of what makes a great lead magnet, the question then becomes where and how do you use them to build your targeted email list. Below is a list of areas where you can use lead magnets to start building your email list:
- Place them on your blog
- Use them in guest posts on other people’s blogs or podcasts
- Make them a part of your social media marketing strategy
Lead Magnet Best Practices
Before you quickly throw together a lead magnet and post it all over the internet, there are some things you need to know and some boxes to check before you go live. Use the checklist below to ensure you are doing all you can to make you lead magnet the best it can be:
Lead Magnet Checklist:
- Relevant to your audience’s needs
- The content you are using for your lead magnet is high value and extremely useful
- Builds trust with your audience
- Positions you as an expert in your niche
- The opt-in page is easy and quick to navigate
- The lead magnet content is easy to consume
- The content is something that can be put into action immediately
- Is set up for quick delivery
One Last Piece Of Advice…
Before you hit the go button on lead magnets, you may want to ease into the process. Start small to get your feet wet. My recommendation for your first lead magnet is to start with something simple like a calendar or checklist. Once you get a feel for how lead magnets work and perform, graduate to something more complex like an eBook or mini-course.
To your social success!