One of the BIGGEST pieces of advice floating around social media and the internet these days is – nurturing your audience through an email list and campaign! But how do you really get started? You’re in luck because today I am going to share my favorite tips and the 6 steps needed to start an email marketing campaign.
Let’s Dive In!
It truly is great advice and it makes total sense why we should nurture an email list. In a nutshell, it’s the only thing we own that allows us to stay in contact with our followers. In the blink of an eye, we can lose social media accounts due to platform failure/bugs, hackers stealing accounts, platform closures, algorithms making it difficult for your content to be seen, etc. Read on to get the steps and the tips you need to get started!
Choosing a Provider
When choosing an email provider, here are some things to consider when making a choice:
- Integration. How easy is it to integrate with other software platforms you already use, for example, your website, social media, etc.
- Ease of use. There are a lot of providers to choose from and many offer robust programs. Select a program that will be easy for you to dive into and hit the ground running.
- Training. What kind of training and technical support do they offer? Will you get your questions answered and how will you be able to learn the software and use it with confidence?
- How does the email look on desktop versus mobile?
- Price. Pricing is a big consideration when selecting a provider. Many have basic plans which are free. This is a great way to get your feet wet and to learn the system. Below are 3 free options you can explore while making a decision:
Once you have a provider in place and you are ready to start sending emails, you need email addresses to send your content to but how do you get email addresses if you are just starting out? Here are some tips:
- Build your list with existing resources like customers, friends, and family,
- Put together an irresistible freebie that someone will gladly exchange their email address for. Promote your freebie everywhere (social media, email signature, networking groups, etc.)
- When at networking meetings and events, pass around a sign up sheet
- Host a giveaway or contest. Just make sure that you are very clear to the participants that by them entering the contest that they will be subscribed to your email list
- Offer a coupon in exchange for their email list
Commit to Consistency
Determine how often you will be sending content to your list? Will it be:
Once you determine how often you will be communicating with your list, set up a template that will make the design and creation of your email more efficient.
Craft Strong Subject Lines
Do some research. Learn how to create subject lines that compel your audience to open you email because they want to find out more. Need help or a place to start? Download my FREE cheat sheet “Subject Lines That Get OPENS!” Download it now by clicking HERE
Always Preview and Test
Most if not all email providers include a test and preview mode before you hit the send button. My recommendation is to always take the extra time to utilize this tool. I always catch at least 1 mistake when I preview the email and then send myself a test copy. Trust me, it’s WORTH IT!
Most email clients will share analytic results that measure how many:
- People open the email
- Readers click on the links provided in the email
- Emails bounce due to bad email addresses (hard bounce) or because the inbox was full, the server was down or the email was too large for the receiving server to handle (soft bounce)
- People unsubscribed from your list
- People forwarded your email to a friend
All of these types of statistics can give you an insight into how your content is regarded by your audience and can help you in developing more of the type of content your audience loves.
Email marketing should be a big part of your overall online marketing strategy because it helps to build a relationship with your audience and followers that is on a platform you have control over. At any time, you have the opportunity to download and backup your mailing list.
Through email consistency, your audience will begin to know you better, trust you, and like you, and we all know that people do business with those that they know, like, and trust.
Don’t forget to download my FREE gift “Email Subject Lines That Get OPENS!” Download it by CLICKING HERE.